1. So far, several ships have been reported missing _______ the coast of Bermuda Island.
A. off B. along C. on D. around
2. “How long have you stayed in this hotel?” “Not long, just ______ this Monday.”
A. on B. since C. until D. after
3. The lift in that tall building went wrong and got trapped _____ floors. People in it had no way to get out.
A. in B. between C. among D. on
4. “What a terrible rain we are having!” “Yes. We are asked to pay more attention to the information about the rain ______ flood.”
A. as well as B. so long as C. because of D. in case of
5. _____ their inexperience, they’ve done a good job.
A. Given B. Supposed C. Considered D. Concluded
6. They promise that the work would all be finished _____ next week.
A. until B. in C. by D. to
7. _______ reading the letter, what has he done?
A. Because of B. Except C. Besides D. But for
8. “How did the robber get in?” “______ an open window on the first floor.”
A. Past B. From C. Over D. Through
9. She knew nothing about his journey _______ he was likely to be away for three months.
A. Except B. except for C. except that D. in addition
10. He usually goes to work by bike _______ it rains.
A .except B. except when C. except for D. except that
11. I found the island a wonderful place for our experiments _______ the hot weather.
A. besides B. except for C. except D. except that
12. ______ the weather, we had a pleasant time.
A. Except B. Except for C. But D. Besides
13. He always did well at school ______ having to do part-time jobs every now and then.
A. in spite of B. instead of C. in case of D. in favor of
14. As it was almost time for the flight, all the passengers got ______ the plane.
A. around B. abroad C. aboard D. ahead
1. 选A。off 用作介词时可表示距离，此时尤其用于指距离某一大路或靠近某海面。又如：
Our house is about 20 meters off the main road. 我们家离大路大约有20米远。
The ship anchored a mile off the coast. 轮船抛锚停泊在离海岸1英里的地方。
2. 选B。此答句为省略句，补充完整为：I’ve stayed in this hotel since this Monday.
3. 选 B。between floors 指在两层楼之间。类例地，以下各例也选between：
Don’t eat anything ______ meals if you want to lose weight.
4. 选D。复合介词in case of有两个意思，一是表示条件，意为“如果”;二是表示目的，意为“以防”。如：
In case of fire, call 119. 万一失火，就打119电话。
Take an umbrella with you in case of rain. 带把雨伞，以防下雨。
5. 选A，given 在此用作介词，意为“考虑到”。又如：Given the low price, I decided to buy it. 考虑到价格很低，我决定把它买下。
6. 选C，by 意为“最迟到……之前，到……的时候已经”。类例地，下面一题也选by：
The train leaves at 6:00 p.m. So I have to be at the station _______5:40 p.m. at the latest.
A. until B. after
C. around D. by
7. 选C。besides 意为“除……之外，还”。又如：
He has another car besides this. 除了这辆车外，他还有一辆。
Besides being a teacher, he was a poet. 除了是位教师外，他还是位诗人。
Did he do anything besides hitting you? 除了打你之外，他还有没有别的什么举动?
8. 选D。through 意为“穿过，贯穿，经过，透过”。又如：
The train ran through the tunnel. 火车穿过隧道。
I saw you through the window. 我是透过窗子看到你的。
9. 选 C。在四个选项中，只有except that 后可接句子。
10. 选B。except when 和 except that 后均可接句子，但前者含“当……的时候”的意思，而后者则没有这个意思。
11. 选B。except 与 except for的区别是：前者主要用来谈论同类的东西;后者主要用来谈论不同类的东西，在说明情况后作细节上的修正，有时含有惋惜之意。
12. 选B，except 和 except for 均可表示排除，但若是表示谈论不同类的对象，通常用 except for。另外，except 通常不用于句首。
13. 选A。比较：in spite of=虽然，尽管…仍;instead of=代替，取而代之;in case of=假设，万一;in favour of=赞同，有利于。
14. 选C。aboard 用作介词时意思“在(船、飞机、车)上”、“上(船、飞机、车)”。
1. “I still haven’t thanked Aunt Lucy for her present.” “It’s time you _____.”
A. do B. did C. had D. would
2. If I hadn’t been lucky enough to meet you. I really _____ what I would have done.
A. don’t know B. hadn’t known
C. wasn’t knowing D. wouldn’t know
3. “I’ve told everyone about it.” “Oh, I’d rather you _____.”
A. don’t B. hadn’t C. couldn’t D. wouldn’t
4. It has been raining for a day, but even though it hadn’t rained, we _____ there by tomorrow.
A. can’t get B. won’t get
C. hadn’t got D. wouldn’t get
5. “Do you know his address?” “No, I also wish I _____ where he _____.”
A. knew, live B. knew, lives
C. know, lives D. know, lived
6. “Isn’t it about time you _____ to do morning exercises?” “Yes, it is. Would you like to join us?”
A. begin B. have begun
C. began D. had begun
7. It is hard for me to imagine what I would be doing today if I ____ in love, at the age of seven, with the Melinda Cox Library in my hometown.
A. wouldn’t have fallen B. had not fallen
C. should fall D. were to fall
8. He hesitated for a moment before kicking the ball, otherwise he ____ a goal.
A. had scored B. scored
C. would score D. would have scored
9. If only he _______ quietly as the doctor instructed, he would not suffer so much now.
A. lies B. lay C. had lain D. should lie
10. Without the air to hold some of the sun’s heat, the earth at night ____ for us to live.
A. would be freezing cold B. will be freezing coldly
C. would be frozen cold D. can freeze coldly
11. Yesterday, Jane walked away from the discussion. Otherwise, she ____ something she would regret later.
A. had said B. said C. might say D. might have said
12. You didn’t let me drive. If we ____ in turn, you ____ so tired.
A. drove; didn’t get B. drove; wouldn’t get
C. were driving; wouldn’t get D. had driven; wouldn’t have got
13. When a pencil is partly in a glass of water, it looks as if it ______.
A. breaks B. has broken
C. were broken D. had been broken
14. But for the help you gave me, I _______ the examinations.
A. would have passed B. would pass
C. wouldn’t have passed D. wouldn’t pass
1. 选B。It’s time you did 为 It’s time you thanked Aunt Lucy for her present 之略。按照英语语法，it’s time 后从句通常要用过去式。
2. 选A。虽然前有虚拟条件句, 后有使用了虚拟语气的宾语，但 I don’t know 却宜用一般现在时，因为 I don’t know 表述的是现在的真实情况，句意为“我要不是有幸遇到你，我真不知(指现在不知)我会做出什么蠢事来”。
3. 选B。I’d rather 后接从句时，从句谓语的时态规律是：用过去式表示现在或将来，用过去完成式表示过去。
4. 选A。we can’t get there by tomorrow 为客观事实，故宜用陈述语气。
5. 选B。第一空填 knew，因为 I wish 后的宾语从句要用虚拟语气(即用过去式表示现在的想法);第二空要填lives，即用陈述语气，因为 where he lives 是一个客观事实，而不是 I wish 的内容。
6. 选C。It’s time… / It’s high time… / It’s about time… 等后接从句时，从句谓语通常用过去式。
7. 选 B。此题涉及错综时间虚拟条件句，主句与现在事实相反，条件句与过去事实相反。句意为：要不是在七岁时就迷上了 Melinda Cox 图书馆，我真不能想像我如今会在做什么。
8. 选 D。这是otherwise 引出的含蓄虚拟语气，再根据前面的 hesitated 可进一步知道这是与过去事实相反的虚拟语气，由此可推知答案选 D。
9. 选 C。if only 意为“要是……就好了”，其后的句子谓语要用虚拟语气，同时根据 as the doctor instructed 中的过去时态可知从句是与过去事实相反，故选 C。
10. 选 A。without 引出的介词短语为一个与现在事实相反的含蓄条件句。
11. 选 D。otherwise 在此相当于 if she had not walked away from the discussion，即暗示一个与过去事实相反的虚拟条件句。
12. 选 D。根据句中的 didn’t let me drive 可知，这是一个与过去事实相反的虚拟语气句，条件句的谓语用 had+过去分词，主句谓语用 would / should / could / might have+过去分词。
13. 选 C。as if 引导的句子，有时用虚拟语气，有时不用。原则上说，若指事实或可能为事实，不用虚拟语气;若指现在，从句谓语动词用一般过去时(be 用 were);若指过去用过去完成时，若指将来用过去将来时或用 were to do sth。又如下面一题要选 C：
It seems as if the sun ____ round the earth since it rises in the east and sets in the west.
A. circles B. is circling
C. were circling D. has been circling
14. 选C。but for 的意思是“若不是，要不是”，用于引出与事实相反的假设，通常与虚拟语气连用。根据句中的 the help you gave me，可知它表示与过去事实相反，故选C。